Gynecologists are available in Atlanta and Alpharetta GA if you need to get a Hysterectomy surgery. This is a huge decision to make. It will probably be one of the biggest decisions of your life. And you shouldn’t have to make it alone. We’re here for you if you have any confusion or doubts about the process. And once you’re ready, we will be ready to perform the surgery for you as well. The decision to get a hysterectomy is a very personal one. We stand by our patients in the choices they make and we’re here to guide them throughout their journey.
What is a hysterectomy?
A hysterectomy is a surgical procedure for the removal of the female uterus. Following this surgery, you will no longer be able to get pregnant. You will also no longer get your period, leaving you in a state of menopause. Depending on your reason for getting a hysterectomy, your gynecologist might want to try some non-surgical options first as a hysterectomy is a major surgery that is irreversible. In most cases, however, hysterectomy may be the only option to solving a lifelong battle to a condition. Most patients who decide to get a hysterectomy are actually satisfied with their results and say that they have no regrets. Studies show that women between the ages of 40-50 are most common patients for a hysterectomy. However, patients as young as preteens who just started their menstrual cycles are also getting hysterectomies.
Common reasons to get a hysterectomy
Hysterectomies are actually more common than you think. In this day and age, women are empowered and they take more control over their bodies and decisions related to them. A hysterectomy would not have been even an option for women in previous times. Here are some common reasons women get hysterectomies:
- Heavy periods cause a disruption to a normal lifestyle and can be life-threatening
- Cancer of the womb, cervix, or ovaries requires a hysterectomy as a treatment
- Endometriosis or Adenomyosis which is becoming unbearable
- Chronic pelvic pain or Fibroids which isn’t going away by other treatments
Surgical techniques for a hysterectomy
There are three different ways of performing a hysterectomy. Our gynecologists in Atlanta and Alpharetta GA are trained specialists who have done each of these procedures successfully numerous times. Which technique will be chosen for each patient depends on a number of factors which will be discussed with the patient prior to the surgery. Following are the three techniques in performing a Hysterectomy.
- Abdominal Hysterectomy – An abdominal hysterectomy is the most common approach for this type of surgery. This is an open surgery where the uterus is removed through an incision in the lower abdomen. The incision usually leaves a visible scar.
- Vaginal Hysterectomy – With a vaginal hysterectomy, an incision is made in the top of the vagina and the uterus is removed through it. This surgery leaves no visible scars.
- Laparoscopic Hysterectomy – With this type of hysterectomy, a camera and tube is inserted into the abdomen through a small incision and everything is done by viewing what the camera is capturing on the screen. This incision will leave minimal scars.
Find top gynecologists in Atlanta and Alpharetta GA
Getting a Hysterectomy is a huge decision to make. We understand it may take a while for you to come to a decision. Once you’ve decided to get a Hysterectomy, or you feel you need help making this decision, contact your top Alpharetta and Atlanta OBGYN for your obstetrics and gynecology care.