Your OBGYN is available in Atlanta and Alpharetta GA if you need to get an IUD insertion. An IUD is a popular method of birth control. With other methods like the pill and condoms becoming increasingly difficult to keep track of, an IUD seems to be the preferred method of birth control for the coming generation. Gen Z seems to want everything done with minimum effort. This is why IUD is becoming increasingly popular. You can just get it inserted and totally forget about it. Let’s dive into more detail on an IUD.
What is an IUD
IUD stands for intrauterine device. It is a small contraceptive tool that is inserted into the uterus and left there to prevent pregnancy. This is one of the simplest forms of birth control as you get to insert it and then forget about it. It is commonly used these days due to the newer generation wanting a form of birth control that requires minimum effort.
Types of IUDs recommended by OBGYNs
There are two types of IUDs widely used by women these days. It is important to note that both methods are more than 99% effective in preventing pregnancies. Therefore, your OBGYN will let you know which IUD is best suited for your body and lifestyle. The two types of IUDs are explained in more detail below:
- Copper IUD – The copper IUD is a small T-shaped tool that is made of copper. It is meant to last for up to 10 years inside your uterus with no complications. It releases small amounts of copper into the uterus consistently which helps in preventing pregnancies. It can also be used as a form of emergency contraception on the day after having unprotected sex.
- Mirena IUD – The Mirena is a hormonal IUD. It is a small T-shaped tool that holds the hormone Progestogen. It is meant to last for up to 5 years inside your uterus with no complications. It releases small amounts of Progestogen into the uterus consistently which helps in preventing pregnancies.
Why IUD is better than other birth control methods
An IUD is increasingly becoming one of the most popular forms of birth control. It is important to for everyone to know why this is so in order to educate them and perhaps open doors for them into the world of IUD. Our OBGYN in Atlanta and Alpharetta GA is always present in case you need any guidance along the way. Here are some common reasons why IUD is better than other forms of birth control:
- They are more than 99% effective in preventing pregnancies – more than other forms of birth control
- They last a long time – 5 years for the copper IUD and 10 years for the Minera IUD
- They don’t interfere or react to other medications you may be taking
- With the hormonal IUD, most women start experiencing lighter and less painful periods
- The copper IUD can also be inserted as a form of emergency contraception
Find top OBGYN specialists in for IUD insertion
If you’ve made your decision on getting an IUD, or you want to consult with an OBGYN for more information, contact your top Alpharetta and Atlanta OBGYN for your obstetrics and gynecology care.